Research has confirmed that the OMERS defined benefit pension plan creates important social value that extends beyond the individual member and his or her family into the broader community – to everyone’s benefit.
We have long understood the economic value created by OMERS investments in business – to help create and sustain jobs. Now we also know that the OMERS defined benefit pension plan makes a difference in other important ways. With the certainty of income in retirement, OMERS members are:
- more likely to be healthier overall;
- more likely to be physically active;
- more likely to donate to charity more often;
- more likely to volunteer in their community;
- more likely to provide care for others and serve as mentors; and
- considerably less likely to draw on government for an income supplement.
OMERS retiree, John Fleck, is living proof of this. Since retiring, John has been volunteering regularly at a local women’s shelter. Learn more about how he’s making a difference in his community
For more information about the social value of your OMERS Pension Plan, read the full report or the one-page summary.