While on disability waiver (also called “disability waiver of contributions”), you continue to accumulate in the OMERS Plan, as if you are still working. The OMERS Plan covers your contributions and your employer’s contributions. Earnings used to calculate your pension are increased by the lower of the annual increase in the Average Industrial Wage (AIW) or the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
To qualify for a disability waiver you must be as defined by the OMERS Plan.
The disability waiver begins on the later of:
- the first day of the fifth month after you become totally disabled; or
- the day after you cease to make regular contributions.
The disability waiver benefit continues until one of these events occurs:
- You are no longer totally disabled.
- You begin receiving an OMERS Plan disability or pension.
- You return to work other than on an OMERS-approved rehabilitation program.
- You leave your employer and elect a termination benefit from the OMERS Plan.
- You reach your and become eligible for a retirement pension.