2. You can choose to buy none, some or all of the service adjustment. Whatever you decide, please note that the cost is valid for six months. If you do not make your election or pay for the service adjustment by the expiry date on the election form, you can contact OMERS Member Services to request an updated cost.
3. The cost to buy the service adjustment changes as you get older:
- Generally speaking, the cost will increase as you approach the age you become eligible for an unreduced normal retirement age 60 pension. Then, the cost typically starts to decrease and will reduce to zero around the age you become eligible for an unreduced normal retirement age 65 pension.
- The cost is based on a number of variables, including your age and salary and the actuarial assumptions in effect at the time the calculation is performed. A change to any of these variables may increase or decrease the cost. More about the cost
4. OMERS automatically restores any service adjustment if you are an active member when the cost has reduced to zero.
5. If you retire or leave your OMERS employer and you still have a service adjustment on your record, you are given a final opportunity to buy it. (This opportunity is not available to your survivors in the event of your death.)