You asked…we answered

December 01, 2015

How do I notify OMERS of an email, phone number or address change?

The easiest way to update your information is online with

I want to sign into my myOMERS account but I don’t know my username or password?

If you don’t know either your username or password, click the “forgot your password” or “forgot your username” link at

Why does OMERS bridge benefit end at age 65?

The bridge benefit supplements your OMERS Plan lifetime pension until age 65, when it is expected your Canada Pension Plan (CPP) pension will begin. The bridge benefit continues to be paid to age 65 even if you start your CPP pension before age 65.

If I remarry after I retire, is my new spouse entitled to a survivor pension when I die?

It depends on whether or not you have a retirement-date spouse. The rules are:

  • If you enter into a spousal relationship after retirement, and there is no person who qualifies as your retirement date spouse, OMERS considers the surviving legal spouse or common-law spouse at the date of your death to be the eligible spouse for OMERS spousal survivor benefits, provided you were not “living separate and apart*” and he or she has not waived rights to survivor benefits.
  • Your retirement-date spouse is your legal spouse or common-law spouse on the date your first pension payment is due, provided you were not “living separate and apart*” on that date and he or she has not waived rights to survivor benefits.

I’ve named my spouse as power of attorney to act on my behalf if I become incapacitated. Should I notify OMERS?

Yes, if you appoint a power of attorney for your financial affairs in case you become incapacitated, send OMERS a copy of the power of attorney document. For pension related purposes, your power of attorney requires a continuing power of attorney for property. We will deal with requests from your appointed power of attorney, provided we get proof of their identity. If you have specified that proof of your incapacity is needed first, we will require that proof as well.

If your spouse or other family member has not been named by you in a continuing power of attorney for property, we can’t carry out a request to change your address, banking or other information.

* Whether two persons are “living separate and apart” is often complicated to assess. It is a question of both fact and law and must be determined on a case-by-case basis. The determination may require the assistance of a lawyer.

Retired Member Newsletter Latest News

No news to show

See all OMERS News